During a recent conversation with a lead on Instagram, something interesting came up. She expressed her reluctance to show too much of herself in her business. This conversation began when I noticed that her name was not included in her Instagram profile. Additionally, there were no pictures of her or any posts explaining why she started her business.
Personally, I find it frustrating when people don’t personalize their messages by including their names. I always advise my clients to do so, as it helps establish a connection. When I messaged this lead, asking for her name, she promptly shared it but apologized for not being comfortable sharing personal information on her profile. I delved deeper into her thought process, and by the end of our conversation, I wanted to tell her, “It’s okay to be yourself!”
Every day, I come across numerous Instagram profiles of new service-based businesses that lack the business owner’s name in the bio or any pictures of them in their feed. This is a disservice to both the businesses and their owners.
Here are three benefits of showcasing the behind-the-scenes of your online business:
1. People buy from people. Your clients want to know you, whether they’re purchasing a product or hiring your services. You are the reason they choose a small business over a big agency. By sharing who you are, why you started your business, and why you offer your services or products, you invite your clients into your business and create an authentic connection. This connection is what ultimately leads to sales.
2. Demonstrates the quality of your products and services. By providing a behind-the-scenes look at your online business, you can showcase the effort and work that goes into delivering your services or creating your products. This helps potential customers understand the value and quality you provide. It also justifies your prices, as they can see the level of dedication and commitment you put into your work.
3. Increases content and visibility for your online business. In today’s social media-driven era, consistent posting is crucial. Sharing behind-the-scenes content not only provides fresh material but also saves you from constantly brainstorming new ideas. Additionally, using the right hashtags and keywords, posting at optimal times, and adhering to platform guidelines can significantly increase your business’s visibility.
When it comes to sharing behind-the-scenes content, the extent is entirely up to you. Some people prefer sharing their processes, while others opt for a more personal approach. Transparency is essential in my business, so I share a wide range of content, from business tips to moments with my dog. However, if your brand leans more towards professionalism, you can still share relevant content that showcases your expertise, such as discussing the systems you use or sharing your thoughts on industry-related topics. The goal is to establish a deeper connection with your audience.
Here are a few easy ways to create behind-the-scenes content for your online business:
– Testimonials and reviews: Share written testimonials or ask clients to film short videos discussing their experiences working with you.
– Day-to-day: Take your audience through your typical day via Instagram stories or post pictures/videos of your workspace or daily routines.
– Processes and systems: Conduct live sessions or create reels demonstrating how you create products or complete services. Share insights into the systems you use for specific tasks.
While sharing behind-the-scenes content is beneficial, there are some things you should avoid:
– Do not be prejudiced: Treat everyone with kindness and respect, even when expressing your opinions or taking a stand on certain issues. Discrimination can harm your business’s reputation.
– Do not share private information: Avoid sharing any personally identifiable information of yourself or your clients online, including sensitive details like social security numbers or addresses.
– Do not ignore platform guidelines: Familiarize yourself with the guidelines of each social media platform to ensure you comply with their rules and avoid account suspension or closure.
Remember, sharing a behind-the-scenes look at your online business allows you to connect with your audience on a deeper level, leading to increased sales and brand loyalty. Embrace the opportunity to show off your business and share your story!