As a small business owner, getting press and publicity can be challenging. For many years, the traditional way to get media coverage was to hope that a journalist or producer deemed your business worthy of being covered. However, with the rise of social media, it has become easier for businesses to create their own story and be “the media.” In this post, we will explore the lessons that small business owners can learn from Donald Trump’s political candidacy and how they can create their own story.
Lesson 1: Building a Following through Social Media
Donald Trump is one of the first candidates who has been able to build a huge following through social media. By using Twitter, Facebook, and Instagram, he has been able to communicate his message and connect with his supporters. As a small business owner, you can also use social media to build a following. Some strategies to consider include:
– Posting regular updates on social media platforms
– Engaging with your followers by responding to comments and messages
– Running social media contests and giveaways to engage with your audience
– Sharing user-generated content to show your appreciation for your followers
Lesson 2: Creating Your Own Media Platform
Instead of waiting for the media to give you attention, you can create your own media platform. Donald Trump’s candidacy is a prime example of this. He has been able to create his own story and be “the media.” As a small business owner, you can also create your own media platform by starting a blog, podcast, or YouTube channel. By creating your own content, you can showcase your expertise and build trust with your audience.
Lesson 3: Focusing on Education and Building a Tribe
Donald Trump has been able to build a tribe of supporters by focusing on education and building trust with his audience. As a small business owner, you can also build a tribe of fans by focusing on educating your customers. By sharing valuable information with your audience, you can build trust and establish yourself as an authority in your industry. Some strategies to consider include:
– Writing blog posts and articles on topics related to your industry
– Creating educational videos and tutorials
– Hosting webinars and workshops to educate your audience
– Writing an e-book or whitepaper on a topic related to your industry
Lesson 4: Investing in Education
As a small business owner, investing in education is crucial. By investing in education, you can stay up-to-date with the latest trends and best practices in your industry. This can help you to make informed decisions and stay ahead of your competitors. Some strategies to consider include:
– Attending industry conferences and events
– Enrolling in online courses and workshops
– Reading industry blogs, books, and publications
– Networking with other business owners in your industry
By following these lessons from Donald Trump’s political candidacy, small business owners can create their own story and build a tribe of fans. By focusing on education, creating their own media platform, and building a following through social media, small business owners can establish themselves as authorities in their industry and grow their businesses.