In today’s booming mobile market, there are over one million apps available at App stores, and they are not all for games and social networking. Businesses have realized the power of apps for connecting with customers and boosting profit. In fact, 91 percent of top brands now have an app, and small businesses are beginning to tap into the mobile market and reap the benefits too.
However, with fierce competition and over one million apps in the market, small business owners must work hard to stand out from the crowd. To achieve this, they need to collaborate with app developers to create something worth downloading. In this beginner’s guide, we will explore the six key factors to consider while developing a stand-out app for your small business.
Section 1: Focus on a Problem
The most successful apps on the market focus on consumer needs and aim to solve their pain points. By addressing a specific problem, your app can attract and retain users. For example, the Domino’s Pizza app allows customers to order from the convenience of their phone and track their order until it is delivered. This eliminates the need for phone calls and enhances the overall customer experience.
To create an app that focuses on solving a problem, consider the following:
– Identify the pain points of your target audience.
– Brainstorm innovative solutions to address those pain points.
– Conduct market research to validate the demand for your app idea.
– Collaborate closely with your app developers to ensure the problem is effectively addressed in the app’s features and functionality.
Section 2: Make It Intuitive
To ensure a positive user experience, your app should be intuitive and easy to navigate. Users should not need an instruction book to understand how to use your app. For example, Airbnb’s app was recognized as one of the most innovative apps of 2016 due to its simplified interface and user-friendly search filters that make it easy for users to find the right accommodations.
To make your app intuitive, consider the following tips:
– Keep the design simple and clutter-free.
– Use clear and concise language in your app’s interface.
– Conduct user testing to gather feedback and make improvements.
– Continuously iterate and refine the app based on user feedback and usage patterns.
Section 3: Don’t Forget Marketing
Having a great app is not enough; you need a solid marketing plan to promote your app before and after its launch. Effective marketing strategies can help drive new downloads and encourage user engagement. For example, Staples promotes its app by utilizing videos, press releases, and collaboration with bloggers and reviewers to spread the message.
To effectively market your app, consider the following strategies:
– Define your target audience and tailor your marketing efforts accordingly.
– Utilize social media platforms to create buzz and engage with potential users.
– Leverage influencer partnerships to reach a wider audience.
– Utilize email marketing campaigns to keep users informed about app updates and new features.
Section 4: Make the Most of Distribution
Choosing the right distribution channels for your app is crucial to reach your target audience effectively. While there are numerous app stores available for distributing your app, selecting the ones that align with your target audience’s preferences and behaviors is essential. For example, Facebook has successfully utilized various distribution channels, making its app available globally except in the ten countries where it is banned.
To make the most of app distribution, consider the following:
– Research and analyze the app stores popular among your target audience.
– Optimize your app’s visibility through relevant keywords and app store optimization techniques.
– Collaborate with app store curators and influencers to increase your app’s visibility.
– Monitor and analyze the performance of different distribution channels to make data-driven decisions.
Section 5: Customer Service Is Important
Offering excellent customer service within your app is crucial for enhancing user satisfaction and retention. Providing users with easy access to support and assistance can significantly improve their overall app experience. For example, Amazon, known for its exceptional customer service, has integrated a FAQ section and a means for users to contact the company within its app.
To improve customer service within your app, consider the following:
– Include a comprehensive FAQ section addressing common user queries.
– Implement a user-friendly support system, such as live chat or email support.
– Regularly collect feedback from users and use it to enhance your app’s functionalities.
– Continuously update your app based on user feedback and evolving customer needs.
Section 6: Form a Retention Strategy
Acquiring users is only the first step; retaining them is equally important. To keep users engaged and coming back to your app, you need to implement effective retention strategies. Push notifications, regular updates, and offering perks are some tactics that work. For example, Starbucks’ app campaign is considered one of the most successful of all time, thanks to its clever use of promotions and personalized rewards.
To form a retention strategy for your app, consider the following:
– Implement push notifications to remind users about new features, updates, and promotions.
– Regularly update your app with fresh content and additional functionalities.
– Offer personalized rewards and incentives to encourage repeat usage.
– Analyze user behavior and preferences to tailor your app experience for individual users.
In conclusion, knowing how to create and market a successful app is a valuable skill for small business owners. With the increasing competition in the mobile market, specialized knowledge is crucial to develop an app that stands out. By focusing on solving a problem, making the app intuitive, implementing effective marketing strategies, optimizing distribution channels, providing excellent customer service, and forming a retention strategy, small businesses can create and promote their own successful apps.