# The Keys to Creating a Successful Pitch Deck for Fundraising
*by Deanna Meador*
Are you struggling to raise capital for your business? As an entrepreneur, I’ve learned that the most crucial part of securing funding lies in the pitch deck. The narrative you present with your pitch deck is the first thing investors see, and it can make or break your chances. Fortunately, I’ve had success raising over $1.5 million in funding in just 8 hours, and I’m here to share my strategies for crafting the perfect pitch deck.
## The 3 W’s of Your Pitch Deck
No matter how much time you have to pitch, you need to answer three essential questions for your audience:
1. *Why* does what you are doing matter?
– Start with a compelling story that illustrates the problem your idea solves.
2. *What* does your company do?
– Clearly explain how your company alleviates the pain point and brings value to your customers.
3. *Who* is on your team and whom do you serve?
– Highlight the credentials of your team and define your ideal customer segment.
If you can answer these three questions clearly and concisely, you’re on the right track to a compelling pitch.
## Additional Elements to Include
Depending on the time you have, consider adding the following elements to your pitch deck:
– Market size
– Burn rate
– Competitive analysis
– Amount of money you are raising and how you will use the funds
## Keep Visuals and Formatting in Mind
When creating your pitch deck, prioritize captivating visuals and compelling statements. A visually focused deck works well during your presentation, but create a text-focused version for sending. If your solution involves a physical product, bring it to your presentation.
## Prepare and Speak with Confidence
To perfect your presentation, follow these tips:
– Do at least 10 timed run-throughs
– Prepare a script, but don’t read it verbatim
– Film yourself presenting to evaluate your body language and speed of delivery
– Stand rather than sit, if possible
## Bring Supporters to the Meeting
Bring team members to play to their strengths and roles within your organization. If you are pitching solo, consider bringing one to two silent supporters or mentors.
## Communicate the Value of Your Business
Take a breath and connect with the audience. You are telling the story of your business in which you believe. Share your vision and value effectively. If you need additional support, create FAQs on creating the perfect pitch deck.
* What makes a pitch deck successful?
– Share your vision in a way that illustrates the value of your business and tells a compelling story.
* How many slides should a pitch deck be?
– Keep it to 10 slides or less and focus on the most important information. For short competition pitches, stick to five slides.
* What are three components of a pitch deck?
– Answer the 3Ws: why, what, and who.
About the Author
Deanna Meador is the CEO and co-founder of Couture Technologies, an AI-powered virtual fitting technology helping apparel businesses reduce returns and increase conversions. Connect with Deanna on [LinkedIn](https://www.linkedin.com/in/deanna-meador-99bb5640/) and [Instagram](https://www.instagram.com/couturetechnologies/). Visit [www.couturetechnologies.com](https://www.couturetechnologies.com/) to learn more about Couture Technologies.